Quotes From Extraordinary People
“Never underestimate the value of your impact every time you open your mouth.”
A Magical Day
These words were spoken off the cuff today at the most impactful day of learning I have ever experienced. Though I will undoubtedly fail miserably to fully convey the power of this magical day, my goal with this post is to simply share the wisdom of some of the finest people I have ever met.
Our Humble and Gracious Host
This week, I had the privilege to hang out with some truly extraordinary people. As I write, I’m in between two days of a “Speaker’s Bootcamp”. It is hosted by a highly accomplished yet curiously humble keynote speaker named Josh Linkner. The bootcamp is affectionately known as 3 Ring Circus to signify the chaos and creativity characteristic of this business.
An Orange Ribbon on a Tree
Though I am nowhere near the level of many of the speakers in today’s class, I found everyone to be incredibly approachable and open. Today was an orange ribbon on a tree in the deep wilderness to signify that I’m on the right path.
An introductory dinner kicked off the bootcamp last night during which all 30 students delivered a knee-knocking 45-second introduction. We were lead to believe that we were all in the same “rookie speaker” boat…not so.
A speaker’s panel was assembled today in the late morning from this intimate group of attendees. We finally realized that there were some rather accomplished speakers among us. In fact, the average rack rate per speech of the 5 person panel was $25,000 USD…and these were people who were happily hanging with everyone at dinner the night before, content to be part of this first class event. The five panelists were (from left to right) Josh Linkner, Eric Termuende, Ben Nemtin, Victoria Labalme and Jon Acuff,
Quotes For Life and Business
Below are only a few of the quotes from this panel that lit a fire under everyone in the room. Though the quotes were geared towards the keynote space, they have application well beyond centre stage in both life and business. Here they are. Enjoy!
- Humour is an nonthreatening way to communicate truth.
- People get stuck in grief, anxiety and hardship. Why can’t we just get stuck in happiness?
- What you don’t say is as important as what you do say.
- There’s a big difference between discipline and devotion.
- Three months from now you won’t remember the 5 hours of sleep you lost preparing. You WILL remember if you screwed up an event!
- The authenticity of your humour matters more than the humour itself.
- We teach kids for 18 years that work sucks, then we’re surprised at 22 when they hate their jobs.
- It’s not about winning or money. It’s about getting better at our craft and maximizing impact.
- These things you think are weaknesses are really your strengths. Embrace your vulnerabilities.
- If your server tells you we suck at fish, you’re way more likely to trust her steak recommendation.
- Social media is like a searchlight at the top of a mountain. You’re just hoping someone drives by at the right time to be able to see the car.
- If you’re in it for the long game, it happens quickly. If you’re in it for quick wins it takes forever.
- Be legendary at exceptional service. Never forget the dinner mint.
- When you take the focus off of you the game changes forever.
- We don’t always choose the lane. Sometimes the lane changes us.
- Just move forward, slightly off balance, heart open, heading into the unknown.
- The person who says it can’t be done should never interrupt the person doing it.
A Simple Question For You
What an extraordinary day! After years of allowing fear to highjack my dreams, I’m filled with the intoxicating belief that I can do this.
My question to you is this. What dreams have you been allowing your fear to highjack?